How a dermatologist can help with acne scarring
If you have had active acne in the past, then you may be familiar with the unwanted marks and divots left behind from this skin condition. Acne scarring is a common complaint in adult patients who have finally eradicated their acne. The marks that are left behind on the skin can make patients feel self-conscious about their appearance. By working with the team at Remington Laser Dermatology Centre, patients of Calgary, AB have some options to choose from.
What types of acne scars are seen by the team?
Drs. Todd Remington and Kent Remington see three primary types of acne scarring at their practice, including:
- Boxcar – boxcar acne scars are those that pull downward and leave noticeable and deep dimpling in the skin
- Rolling – rolling acne scar causes bumps across the skin, leaving an uneven texture
- Icepick – icepick scars are small, narrow, and deep
Once patients have received a diagnosis of the type of acne scar they are dealing with, they then work with our team to choose the most effective solution for their unique needs.
Treatments for acne scarring
There are several approaches a dermatologist might take in reducing the appearance of acne scarring. Below are just a few of the more common services that might be recommended by our dermatologists to improve the texture of the skin:
- Subcision – this treatment releases fibrotic strands that can cause scar tissue and acne scarring to be more apparent in the overall texture of the skin
- Hyaluronic acid fillers – these gel cosmetic fillers smooth the skin by adding volume to boxcar or icepick scars
- Vascular/IPL lasers – by constricting blood vessels and breaking down pigmentation, these laser therapies can reduce redness and pigmentation that can occur with some acne scars
- Non-ablative fractional resurfacing – using the M22 ResurFX laser, the light energy works to stimulate collagen growth and is best used on mild pitted scarring
- Ablative fractional resurfacing – deep penetration of laser energy into the skin to break down scar tissue and improve regeneration and production of collagen
Call Remington Laser Dermatology Centre today!
Drs. Todd Remington and Kent Remington are excited to offer services for new and existing patients of their practice who reside in or around the area of Calgary, AB. Call the office today to book a consultation visit and discuss your options for the treatment of acne scarring.
Posted in: Acne